Saturday, May 12, 2007

Book Meme

Ok, I'll bite - saw this a couple of places, including here, at my friend's new blog (gotta get that blog roll thing going!), I'll give it a try!

Grab the nearest book.

  1. Open it to page 161.
  2. Find the fifth full sentence.
  3. Post the text of the sentence along with these instructions.
  4. Don't search around looking for the coolest book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.
"The idea generally received is that this, as well as three smaller vortices among the Ferroe islands, 'have no other cause than the coolision of waves rising and falling, at flux and reflux, against a ridge of rocks and shelves, which confines the water so that it precipitates itself like a cataract; and thus the higher the flood rises, the depper must the fall be, and the natural result of all is a whirpool or vortex, the prodigious suction of which is sifficiently known by lesser experiments'." The Raven and Other Writings, Edgar Allen Poe (Can anyone guess the story this sentence is from?)

(And boy! That Poe fella - he writes *llooooonnnnnggggg* sentences!)

J1 was reading Poe, not me - no scary stories for me, no sirree. I read The Tell-Tale Heart back in highschool, and that was more than enough for me!

1 comment:

Jenn Casey said...

I absolutely adore Poe but you do have to be in a certain mood to enjoy him. My all-time favorite shiver-inducing story is "The Cask of Amontillado." Oh, it is so good. And "The Raven"--"Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December...."

I'd love to talk to J1 about Poe! Does he know about the mysterious stranger who leaves cognac and flowers on Poe's grave every January 19th?

Must go read some Poe!