Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Change in plans...

Well, once again, the best laid plans and all that. Dh has been notified that his contract will end in 2-3 weeks or so, and we are now frantically cutting back expenses, and looking for a new job. We don't have many resources to keep us going without dh's income, and he's been looking for another job for 7 months now without much success (albeit half-heartedly), so I'm trying hard not to worry.

I cut back the school books we will use to a minimum, and thanks to grandma and grandpa (thanks again!!) we will actually *have* these school books to start our year. It's hard for me to re-organize and plan for school when I have no idea what dh's schedule will be like in the coming months. Will he be home, looking for work? Will he get a job in another city out of desperation? Will he have to take a job with lots of travel? I don't deal well with uncertainty, so this is tough for me.

I think the message for me to take away from this is to, once again, not get too caught up in the "planning". Stick to the basics of what's important, work hard, and pray hard. Everything will work out in the end!

At any rate, my ambitious meal planning is on hold for awhile as we don't have the means to purchase a month's worth of groceries all at once at this time. I will be working on some frugal week at a time menus, hopefully streamline the process a bit still to free up some of my time. I think I will change my focus to our chore system. Definitely need to work on us all working together to keep this house running smoothly!

2 comments:

Sarah Faith said...

I really sympathize; my husband is on contract too. I think we have been between contracts during every single pregnancy. :-) Let's hope this time (#5) is the exception!
We go to SFdS, got your link from the yahoo group. My blog is
www.xanga.com/pistachiochocolatewife, come by anytime.

MamaJen said...

Hi, Sarah! I recognize you from the photo on your blog! You have such beautiful children - and congratulations on #5!! I understand about the job/pregnancy link - in 3 of my 4 pregnancies, we encountered job turmoil (I actually told dh that maybe this is the month we'll finally get pregnant again, what with this pending job loss! :-) That's ok, though - the one pregnancy that he had a stable job the whole time? He had his stroke when my baby was just 5 months old, and I had 3 kids 4 and under - I'll take the job uncertainty any day!!