Monday, November 06, 2006

Gotten a bit off-track...

Sigh. With all the birthdays and everything the last few weeks, we've really gotten off-track from our schoolwork. We've gotten away from our bedtime routine, so the kids have been staying up later and later, which means they sleep in later and later. I often think of this as a good thing (remember me mentioning how I am NOT a morning person?), but it's really just an awful habit to get into. We've also fallen into a horrible, horrible trap of watching *too much TV*!!! Oh, I just hate that. See, if it was up to me, we wouldn't have a TV in the house at all. But my dh, he loves the visual media - TV, movies, he truly loves them. So, we have a TV in our house. Two, actually. (but thankfull we still have more TVs than people in our house!!) And a couple months ago, for the first time in many, many years, we have cable again. And we've sort of gorged ourselves for awhile! A lot of it is good (the history channel, food channel, animal planet, DIY network, that sort of thing), but the kids are starting to really pick up the attitude of some of these kids's shows. Not good. So, today is the day mom puts her foot down. No TV except for Between the Lions (which I count as part of our school day), and an hour of their 2 favorite shows right before dinner. Well, except for that half an hour or so after my poor also not morning people kids get up (I say after my 4 year old staggers out of his room and says with eyes not quite open, "can I watch a movie?")

Hmm - the kids are gonna fuss today, that's for sure! Bring 'em on! :-)

I'm also thinking of how I can change the way I do things a bit with my younger set. I like our plan, it works for us in many ways, I think it just needs some tweaking. Not quite so much sit-down work, I think. I want to incorporation more hands-on learning with them. I've been very intrigued with some things I've been learning about Montessori, and need to do some more research so I can decide if I want to incorporate more of that method in our homeschool.

So much to think about, so much to do! I'll let you know how things go!

No comments: