Friday, January 11, 2008

Such timely little creatures!

Guess who I saw today? Oooh - I'm so excited! You have to guess! :-)

My bluebirds are back! Well, actually I only saw one. And alas, I was not quick enough with the camera to get a picture. But he seemed to be checking out the bluebird house I got last year. That thrilled me to no end - I would love, love, LOVE to get a nesting bluebird pair!

And the weird thing? Guess when I first saw them last year? On Friday, January 12. I find the fact that today is Friday January 11 to be absolutely amazing! They only stuck around for about 3 days last year, so I figure that perhaps I have a little window of opportunity to convince them to stay around here.

I am going out this afternoon to the bird feeding store and getting myself some live mealworms. Yes, it's true, I will keep little worms in my fridge for my precious bluebirds. Last year I shied away from getting the live ones, but the bird feeder store lady insisted that bluebirds love their food moving. If I have a house and wriggly wormies for them, maybe this year they'll stick around! I'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

Sarah Faith said...

Sounds like fun. :-)

Vicki said...

How exciting! It reminds me of how I felt when I noticed the hummingbirds coming back on the same day every year. It's fun to see them and fun to anticipate their arrival. We've never had bluebirds though, so I suppose I'll have to look into that. They sure are beautiful creatures.

Shelly said...

Wow, that is so neat, Jen. Good luck in your bird adventure.

Kelly said...

Ooh - I hope they stick around for you! How neat!